Sunday, November 1, 2015

They had one heck of a time finding a vein today. The one they had for 2 days quit. At least it happened on the last day of the first cycle of treatment. They went to the left lower forearm near the wrist. Bad location and it blew out. Now it looks like they want to put in a chemo port. I really think it's the low seniority nurses working the weekends.
Now I have an OBI (On Board Injector). https://www.neulasta.com/on-body-injector/
It will inject something to help with white blood cell counts to fight off infections. They used to have you come back for a shot. After 27 hours it injects the medication for 45 minutes, then you take it off and put in into a medical waste container. I should be done with chemo for 3 weeks. They told me that between 7 and 14 days are when the immune system takes a dive and stay away from crowds. I guess I'm a hermit until chemo is done, 4 to 6 treatments, every 3 weeks.
The battle continues...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm doing this for Mark and so that I don't forget.
On Thursday, Nov. 6th Mark stated that he didn't feel good. We gave him an non aspirin and later he couldn't get out of the chair. At 1 am he fell out of bed and an ambulance was called. He was admitted to ICU with a fever of 101 and an UTI on Friday. He was put on antibiotics and a cath was put in. Mark was very disoriented and not responsive. By Saturday his temp had gone up to 103.8 and he was wrapped in ice and a cooling blanket added to his bed. His temp went down to 101 and then up to 102.9. At one point, he was slurring his words and his mouth drooped. The nurse got to him immediately and he was able to respond but very slowly. His brain was not telling him what to do. On Sunday, our minister, Father Ken came and saw him and did a prayer for him. Later that evening, after the nurse sent me home, an onocologist called and said he would get better. When I walked in Monday morning, Mark was alert and talking. It was like a light was switched on. His temperature is now down to 96.7 or 98 and is staying there. Yesterday, was the first time he was able to get out of bed and sit in a chair. I told the nurse he would be able to walk but they won't let him yet. I guess it's a Johnson thing, according to Roxanne. They are keeping him in ICU to make sure his white blood counts stay stable, which they have come back from 1.1 to 3.1. They will put a port in before he comes home. Next round of chemo is on the 23rd.