Oct 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th
Moved to CCU from the ER. When I arrived at the ER they did triage and decided to admit and treat me. My co2 levels were through the roof, in the 70s because of an autoimmune disorder Lambert–Eaton myasthenic syndrome (LEMS Lambert-Eaton syndrome or Eaton–Lambert syndrome).
In Flint, they had no idea what to do with the LEMS. The Doctors working on me when I came in, estimated I might have had ~2 hours left. Always go to the experts, if the Doctor you're working with appears puzzled, get away from him/her.
As it turns out, LEMS is a close relative to Myasthenia Gravis and research hospitals have had good luck with treating LEMS with MG medicines.
The way they got the co2 down was with a BiPap and medications.
Close one here, Irene had given them permission in incubate. I would keep fighting, when I would stop breathing I would wake up and the co2 levels started to recede.
I did get in one practical joke while in ER. I woke up with Irene and Tina staring at me. I slowly kind of leaned to one side like I was passing out. When they started yelling my name, I gave them a sly smile and a wink. A sense of humor is always a situation lightener. They both wanted to give me a swift kick but I think there were too many witnesses.
I spent 1.5 days in CCU. My weakness started to let up and was moved to floor 8. While there they started a pretty intensive chemo program that included 5 rounds of Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), one infusion of Carboplatin and 3 infusions of Etoposide.
I have nothing but love and respect for Dr Redmond, Dr Kalamkarian, Dr Hayman and others at UofM Healthcare. I had so many DRs and Interns talking to me, I could never name them all. I remember one intern, young women, I think her name was K. Levy, but I'm not sure. She was in and out of the room checking on me several times a day.
I have since changed my primary care to Dr Seth Ferguson in Carson City. I will use the excuse that he is closer to my home now that I have moved.
1 comment:
What still strikes me so hard is the unwillingness to address, ability to ignore or dismiss as a mere inconvenience, the obvious neurological problems you were having. Like... the inability to walk more than 1, maybe two steps, and that was with assistance. It was just an 'oh it will get better, you just have to deal with it'.
Fast forward 14 hours and the ICU Nurse at UofM is taking a blood sample just before midnight on a Friday night, because they still have time to send, via overnight service, your blood to the Mayo Clinic for evaluation and confirmation of LEMS.
Huge difference
Post a Comment