I had a CT and PET scan on Monday. The results weren't what I was hoping for. We had one nurse tell us the usual therapy is 30 days of twice a day 6 hours apart, 5 days a week, 6 weeks total time excluding the weekends when they don't do radiation. Another nurse mentioned maybe once a day. Then Dr Thomas Dilling came in and stated the treatment will be 15 days, once a day, 3 weeks total time lapse. Each appointment is about 45 minutes long with 10 minutes on the table. They first have to make a mold for me to lay in and put tiny tattoos at the focal points. We are waiting for a phone call from the scheduler to get this done. There are some lymph nodes (3) in the middle of the chest that are still inflamed. They are going to hit them along with the area where the tumor was at. Here's the deal, with chemo there are microscopic tumors left behind. The chemo does a great job of shrinking the tumor(s) but it takes radiation to kill them off. After the treatment, I will need to get a CT and PET scan every 3 months.
The unexpected development was a flash on the PET scan in the back of the throat. He did a digital exam and could not feel anything. He said I did a good job of not gagging because he went pretty far down the throat. He said it could be a false positive from me coughing (which I don't remember doing) or even a swallow during the picture taking. He stated that it is common for smokers or former smokers to have lung and throat cancers at the same time. They are different types of cancer and do not indicate a spreading of the lung cancer.
This is going to be a protracted fight.
No comments:
Post a Comment